Depression is a mental state in which you experience intense feeling of grief, desolation, helplessness and low sense of worth. However sharp and empathetic you are, the situation takes a toll on you, step by step. It makes you suffer from acute anger and hopelessness, and eventually pushes you towards several stress-related disorders. Though, there are several ways such as psychotherapy, medications etc. to deal with depression, studies have found that meditation is the most effective way to heal this. Read further to know more about meditation for depression and its benefits.
What Is Meditation For Depression?
Meditation which is aimed to treat depression is known as ‘Depression Meditation’. It is a practice of focusing on breath which eventually leads to relaxation of the body and mind. This meditation can be easily understood with the help of following set of steps:
- Sit in a straight yet comfortable posture.
- Then, focus on your breathing by counting the number of inhales and exhales silently. It’s a gentle process and not a forceful one.
- You can increase your focus gradually and carry on as long as you feel comfortable. The relaxation attained can elevate your mood and provide great relief.
Usually, Depression Meditation can be practiced in one of the two following ways:
- General Meditation Techniques
- Specific Meditation Techniques
Here is a brief detail of these two types of meditation techniques:
1. General Mediation Techniques:
It starts with entering in a meditative state before your mood declines severely. Depression can cause frequent mood swings depending on its severity. For meditating, you need to wait until your mood lifts just enough to engage in normal activities and you become responsive both physically and mentally.
Focusing is the prime idea of such meditation practices. You should find a silent place with least distraction factors. Drawing curtains, putting ‘DND’ on the door, wearing earplugs or listening to a soothing music can prove to be effective.